Monday, February 23, 2009

My Week in Meals 2-23-09

Like many people, conserving is on my mind and I think about it as I make my weekly meal plan. My family has something against leftovers. Even Colin told me (in a very snotty tone) the other day when I tried to serve him leftovers for lunch, "Mom, I don't eat leftovers." So I try and save things before they become leftovers. For example my meatballs recipe makes twice as much as we can eat, but I do a full batch and then, just after frying them, before they go in the oven, I place half of them in a 8x8 pan, cover tightly and place in the freezer. Next time we want meatballs, I'll just pull them out and bake them. Same thing with the White Bean Chicken Chili and Taco meat. We eat a little and the rest go in freezer bags and then into the freezer. By the time we eat them again my kids have forgotten that they are technically "leftovers." This week, after eating our fill of roast chicken, I shredded the rest of the meat and used it in the White Bean Chicken Chili. And I bought one bag of spinach to use three different ways: 2 salads and sauteed in garlic and olive oil with salt, pepper and a little lemon juice at the end. And we really miss New York pizza. Two Fat Guys across town has pretty good NY style pizza, but closer to home we loove Little Caesars. We eat it a lot.



Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Snack

Monday

Cereal

PB&J

Chips

Celery

Pasta & Meatballs

Garlic Bread

Grapes

Tuesday

Eggs & Toast

Ham sandwich

Carrots

Chips

Roast Chicken

Mashed Potatoes & Gravy

Spinach, Apple, Bacon Salad

Bananas

Wednesday

Cereal

PB&J

Granola bar

Celery

Soft Tacos

Fruit leather

Thursday

Yogurt, Toast, Grapefruit

Turkey sandwich

Apple

Celery w/ pb

White Bean Chicken Chili

Homemade Bread

Spinach and Orange Salad

Cheese & crackers

Friday

Pancakes

Turkey sandwich

Chips

Raisins

Little Caesars Pizza

Crazy Bread with Sauce

Snicker-doodles

Saturday

Cereal

Mac n’ cheese

Salmon on the Grill

Sauteed Spinach

Potato Gallete



3 comments:

Petrea said...

Good ideas! As you know my family feels the same about left-overs. Bronson even accuses me of being able to make new food into leftovers, by that I think he means casseroles. I'm glad I don't have to cook for him every day any more! I like your idea of freezing half, so you have a meal prepared for busy days.

The Taylor 5 said...

Your meal ideas are making me really hungry. I love the Salmon on the grill. You can actually grill in Feb? How wonderful!

Susan said...

She's alive! Good to see you posting again! Thanks for putting me on your "A" list. Can't wait to mix up a batch of hot chocolate. It snowed last night!