Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Gabby's Ham

I love this ham. It's become a standard in my husband's family. After eating this, you'll have a hard time going back to regular sliced ham. Gabby first introduced it to us, hence the recipe title. You take a shank portion ham and put it in a big pot and add a few inches of water and then cook for about 6 hours. The fat renders making the flavor so salty and yummy and the meat just falls off the bone in shreds. Take time to separate the meat from the bone, skin and fatty pieces and shred with a fork. (Then you can save the bone for soup). The other thing I love about this ham is that is makes a ton! We recently fed 12 adults and 9 kids with it. You don't have to feed that many, you can save the leftovers for soup or bagel sandwiches the next day (toasted bagel, cream cheese and shredded ham, yum).

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

erin, if you need a second witness about the ham then let me know. I can verify that it was good.

Salem said...

I love getting people who claim to hate ham to try this. I get the same reaction when people who claim to hate rice try Jasmine Rice.

Anonymous said...

I've never made this, but I'll have to try it now...

Anonymous said...

It sounds really good and I want to try it. Do you cook it uncovered? Covered? Did you serve funeral cheese taters with it?

Liz Stanley said...

It's so good and so easy. I made it for a christmas party last year and it was such a hit.

Erin said...

I cook it covered. I didn't serve funeral potatoes. I just can't bring myself to make something that has cream of mushroom soup, cheese and cream in it. So fattening! We served mashed potatoes instead - 1 lb. potatoes, 1 lb. butter, 1 c. milk.

Ben said...

If you don't cook it covered, the ham dries out quick.

Salem said...

Yeah Erin a pound of butter and milk sounds way less fattening. Check the calories in butter if you haven't recently. You might be suprised.

Anonymous said...

I actually tried this - but accidently bought pork instead of ham. It cooked well, but was bland. I cut it up and added some onions, green peppers, garlic, chili powder, salt, pepper and cooked it for about 10 min. I served it over a baked potatoes wiht sour cream and cheese and it was a hit. Next time, I will be smart enough to get ham.

Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Full disclosure: I got the recipe from Emily Spencer. (Who I would link to but she doesn't blog — yet.)

Anonymous said...

where can id find recipe for ham(Gabby's ham) Emily spencer recipe