Saturday, September 09, 2006

Favorites: Weekend Waffles



This is my favorite waffle recipe. It doesn't involve separating eggs or beating egg whites so it's as easy as making pancakes, but the result is just as good as a more complicated recipe. We eat ours with syrup or fresh fruit and whipped cream. Sometimes we add blueberries or chocolate chips to the batter. I would really love to eat them with some kind of awe-ful "special sauce," I wish someone would send me a recipe.

Basic Waffles (from Joy of Cooking) - for our family (of 5) we double the recipe. Pack extra waffles in a freezer ziploc between sheets of wax paper and put in freezer. Toast or microwave when ready to eat.
Preheat waffle iron.
Whisk together in a large bowl:
1 3/4 C. flour
1 T. baking powder
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
Whisk together in another bowl:
3 eggs, beaten
4-16 T. butter, melted
(from Joy of Cooking, "We give you three choices to prepare this recipe: use 4 T. butter for a reduced-fat waffle, 8 T. for a classic light and fluffy waffle; or 16 T. for the crunchiest most delicious waffle imaginable.")
1 1/2 C. milk
Make a well in center of dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Gently whish them together with a few swift strokes. (The batter should have a pebbled look, similar to a muffin batter.) Cook in waffle iron.

7 comments:

liz said...

wow did you take this shot?! this is a great photo.

Liz Stanley said...

erin i've got some extra packets of a special sauce that is awe-some.

Erin said...

I should put some kind of disclaimer somewhere, I basically take 0 pictures. But I am really good at stealing them off the web (sorry photographer liz). I got this picture from The Zombie's myspace page. He looks like a really nice guy.

Anonymous said...

So how much butter do YOU use? I've always used the time-consuming-seperate-eggs recipe so I'd like to try this.

Anonymous said...

This time of the year fresh sliced peaches and whipped cream are very good on waffles. If Dad sees this photo he's going to be craving waffles big time--they are his favorite.

Anonymous said...

I've got a special sauce! And I've had it over waffles and it's 'so mad-awesome', as Jesse would say.

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup half & half
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Cook all ingredients in heavy saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes, but be careful: it will burn easily if you're not paying attention!

Wendy

Erin said...

I use different amounts of butter - usually somewhere in the middle. Thanks for the special sauce Wendy. It looks decadent.