Friday, March 30, 2007

Cherie's Cinnamon Rolls



In honor of conference weekend, I just have to post my sister-in-law's cinnamon roll recipe. Cherie is always baking for someone (I'm not exaggerating here) and makes amazing cookies, brownies and breads. (In all fairness, I do believe this recipe actually comes from Cherie's mom, Marilyn, who is also an amazing cook and entertainer.) These are crazy good. The recipe makes a ton, enough to take to all your neighbors and freeze some and still gorge yourself on them (or you can halve the recipe). They are all white flour and sugar and butter and can potentially send you into a coma, or at least a sugar induced nap, but if that's not enough for you, you can try the caramel pecan roll variation below.

Cherie's Cinnamon Rolls
2 c. warm milk (110 degrees)
2 c. warm water (110 degrees)
1 c. melted butter
2 T. yeast
1 c. sugar
2 T. salt
8 c. flour (I usually increase this to 10-12 cups)

Mix milk, water, salt, sugar and oil. Sprinkle yeast on top, stir and let rest 2-3 minutes. Add flour one cup at a time mixing well after each cup. Add enough flour until dough is slightly sticky. Let raise 45 min. to one hour. Divide dough into two pieces. Roll in rectangle 1/4" thick and spread with 1/2 cinnamon mixture:

Mix together -
1 c. soft butter
3 T. cinnamon
1 c. sugar
2 c. brown sugar

Roll up and slice 2" thick using dental floss to cut. Repeat with seond piece. Place on greased cookie sheet. Let raise 20-30 minutes. Bake 365 for 20-25 min. Glaze while warm:

3 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. melted butter
1 t. vanilla
additional water to thin, if needed

Turn upside down onto counter to avoid rolls sticking to bottom of pan.


Caramel Pecan Rolls
1 c. whipping cream
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. butter, cut in chunks
pecans

Cover bottom of 9x13 pan with sugar, cinnamon, nuts and butter. Place cinnamon rolls (after rolled and cut) on top and let raise 20-30 minutes. Just before putting in the oven, pour cream over top. Bake 375 for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and invert so the caramel side is up.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

I am sure they are delish with all of that butter. I'll definitely be trying these.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love Cherie' and all of her goodies. It's so funny you made these I was just thinking about them also.

Elizabeth said...

I made these - but did the orange roll version that is in mom's mission cook book (orange peel instead of cinnamon, orange juice for the glaze instead of milk). Matt told me there was no way I could make orange rolls better than his grandma Allen - but, they were pretty darn close. If I did it again - I would not cut the recipe in half because Matt and our neighbhors ate them all before I got any!