Monday, February 18, 2008

Cherry Pie

There could be no better way to celebrate Presidents' Day than with a cherry pie. This is for all of you that hate cherry pie. It's nothing like the artificially bright red cherries bound together in a gloopy mess that you find in most cherry pies. This one is a simple fruit pie, much like an apple or peach pie.

The "secret" ingredient. Sour cherries packed in water or light syrup. You do not find these with the pie fillings, but with the canned fruit. (Sn'S does not carry these, but A&P does.)


Drain fruit, mix in a bowl with sugar, cornstarch, almond extract and lemon juice.


I love weaving a lattice top on a cherry pie, but you can also do a closed top. Be sure to dot with butter before putting the top on.


Trim and crimp edges.


Serve with ice cream.



Cherry Pie (from Joy of Cooking)

Pour into a sieve set over a bowl:
3 lbs. bottled or canned cherries
Shake the cherries lightly to drain. Measure 4 cups of fruit and 1/2 c. juice (too watery for me, I just use 1/4 c. juice) and combine with:
3/4 c. sugar for sour cherries in light syrup or 1 1/4 c. sugar for sour cherries packed in water
3 T. cornstarch
1 T. lemon juice
1/4 t. almond extract
Let stand for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425.

Prepare pie crust. (I like pate brisee from MS.) Roll out half the dough and place into a 9" pie pan. (Don't stretch to fit, this is what causes shrinkage.)

Pour cherries into the bottom crust and dot with:
2-3 T. butter cut into small pieces

Roll the remaining dough, cut into strips and weave in a lattice pattern. (You can find more detailed instructions here.) OR roll out top crust, place over fruit and trim overhang. Seal the edges by crimping with a fork. If using a closed top crust, cut steam vents. Bake the pie for 30 min. Slip a baking sheet beneath it, reduce the oven temp to 350 and bake until thick juices bubble through the vents, 25-35 minutes more. Let cool completely on a rack before serving. Store at room temp. for up to 1 day.

8 comments:

Petrea said...

sounds great! I also have a recipe for a pie made with sweet cherries. I used to pit and freeze them for this purpose. I'll give you the recipe if you are interested.

Liz Stanley said...

mmm i love a tart cherry pie

R-Eight said...

This looks great! I always use the gooey stuff from the can. I can't wait to try this.

Mumsy said...

Oh, yummy!

(You can also get some really delicious cherries at TJ's--but I don't know if they are sour. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to go get some next time I make a Black Forest Cake.)

Mandy Wollenzien said...

I love cherry pies but only when they are made from fresh cherries. I'm excited to try the cherries you mentioned because it is hard to find fresh pie cherries.

LoGunns said...

mmmmmmmm. I really want to make a cherry pie now. Never done it before.

Tania said...

I am so making this next presidents day. Cherry pie, that could be a great tradition.

Lylah Ledner said...

Love the post...thought I'd add another cherry recipe here: http://lylahledner.blogspot.com/2007/10/cherry-pudding.html

it's out of this world!

great blog! lylah