Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Recipe Organization


I've finally decided to tackle my pages and pages of recipes, mostly printed out from the internet, torn from magazines or scribbled on scraps of paper. Last November, the very talented Laura took my Thanksgiving recipes, printed them on half sheets of darling paper, put them in page protectors and then bound them with beautiful ribbon. It was the best gift. I loved using them in this format. It's only about 6 pages long so it's easy to find the recipe I want and it lays flat on the counter and wipes clean easily. It also makes cooking more fun to read from something beautiful. She inspired me to do that with all my recipes. I'll bind them in small categories; like breakfasts, breads, cookies, cakes and appetizers. The main dishes I'll separate into seasons and bind each separately. It may sound like a lot of little books to keep track of, but I will store them all in a magazine file in a convenient closet:



I also like the idea that it's so not permanent, I can easily add new favorites or take away failures. Because so many of the recipes are on-line, cutting and pasting them into a document has been easy. I'm pretty sure my little volumes won't be as beautiful as Laura's, but the project has been a fun creative and organizational outlet!

3 comments:

daisy said...

How much for a copy? I'll pay anything. Shayne keeps asking if I read the chalupa recipe on your blog..and when I'm putting it on our menu list.

Anonymous said...

I have been trying to come up with something like this ages. I love the idea of lots of small cook books. I have a hard time with big bulky books especially when there are only one or two recipes I really use in each of them.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! My recipes are such a mess. I thought having them all on the computer would work but I don't like having the computer in the kitchen while cooking. This is something that makes a lot of sense and you can change the recipes as needed. Thanks.