Thursday, March 12, 2009

Snikerdoodles




I think I make these once a week. They are a favorite with everyone, especially Josh. It's not just the kind of cookie, it is this particular recipe. It's really, really tasty. I like to cook mine just until the middle looks dry (before they even start to brown) so they are soft and chewy. Josh likes his light brown around the edges so they are crispy. The recipe calls for refrigerating the dough for an hour. They really are better if you can spare the time. We can never wait so I always cook one sheet right after making the dough and then put the rest of the dough in the fridge. We cook a sheet at a time whenever we're in the mood, but the dough doesn't last more than a day or two. Also, the recipe calls for butter and shortening, which I usually don't cook with. I've tried using all butter but really like the result I get with the half butter, half shortening combo. If you decide to use all butter your cookies will be crisper but will still have great flavor.

Snickerdoodles (from Great Cookies by Carol Walter)

In mixer, with paddle attachment beat:
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. shortening

Meanwhile, in another bowl whisk together:
2 1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
2 t. cream of tartar
1/2 t. salt

Once butter and shortening are mixed and fluffy, slowly add:
1 1/2 c. sugar

Mix until fluffy. Add:
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla extract

With mixer on low, slowly add dry ingredients. Mix just until combined. Refrigerate dough at least 1 hour. Roll into small balls, coat in cinnamon sugar and place on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

6 comments:

Jen I said...

And I haven't seen pictures of that little baby looking so grown up!

Carrie said...

Your really not helping with my "getting into shape" thing. Oh who am I kidding, I'm not doing so well anyway, might as well eat some yummy cookies!
Love the pic! When are you guys coming back this way? We HAVE to get together!

Elizabeth said...

I love snickerdoodles! My little trick to making them is adding 2 tsp of milk to the recipe. I dont get how - but they totally make them softer and better. But I am like you - I never refrig. them. I just bake and eat...my little nick name for them are "crack cookies" because you really just cant have one. How is that to teach your children about drugs? Jk.

Anonymous said...

I tried these this week. So Delicious! Such a different flavor with the Cream of Tartar-looved them. I really like the picture of Petrea eating them.

Megan said...

My family has always been so over the moon for chocolate cookies and chocolate chip cookies, that we rarely try anything in the "white zone." I was inspired by your accolades to the cookies, though, and whipped them up for FHE. They were really good. I love how the cream of tartar makes a tart taste on the back of either side of your tongue. Loved them. Thanks for sharing.

LoGunns said...

We made these tonight and they are so delicious!