Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cloud Puffs



Think tiny cream puffs (subtly flavored with hints of orange and lemon) deep fried, rolled in granulated sugar and dusted with powdered sugar. Need I say more?

You can use your favorite cream puff recipe, or this one:

Cloud Puffs (from Dessert Circus at Home by Jacques Torres)

1/2 c. water
pinch of salt
pinch of granulated sugar
grated zest of 1/2 an orange
grated zest of 1/2 a lemon
3 1/2 T. butter, cubed
1/2 flour
2-3 large eggs

granulated sugar and powdered sugar

Heat frying oil (vegetable or canola) to 330 degrees in heavy bottomed 4 qt. saucepan. Meanwhile:

Place water, salt, sugar, zests and butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in flour all at once and incorporate thoroughly with a wooden spoon.

Return saucepan to heat and cook for about 3 min. to dry out the paste. As it cooks, push paste from side to side with wooden spoon. It is dry when it begins to leave a thin film on the bottom of the saucepan.

Transfer contents to a large mixing bowl. Mix with an electric mixer on low for 2 min. to release some steam. Continue to mix and add eggs one at a time, incorporating well after each addition. After adding two eggs, check consistency. It should be pale yellow, smooth, moist, slightly elastic and sticky. If it's to dry add another egg.

Place batter into a pastry bag with no tip, or a large freezer bag (snip off the tip to make a 1/2" opening). Pipe small amounts of batter (about the size of a dime) into hot oil. Use a chopstick or skewer (dipped in oil) to detach dough from tip of bag. You can also use a spoon to scoop small amounts of dough into oil. Turn them as they cook to ensure even frying. Fry until they are golden brown, 3-5 minutes. Remove from oil onto paper towel. Roll in granulated sugar. Just before serving dust with powdered sugar.

7 comments:

Jen I said...

Mmm, I like the idea of the lemon and orange.

R-Eight said...

Someone told me how easy cream puffs were to make so I made them for a party. They were dry and yucky. I have been afraid to make them ever since.

Is there a trick?

Erin said...

rachel, you might have luck with this recipe. add the 2 eggs and then see if it's too dry: specifically, scoop up a big spoonful of batter, hold it about 1 ft. above the bowl and if it takes 5-7 sec. to drop and doesn't drop all in a clump it's perfect. If not, add another egg. When I'm using eggs from the neighbors hen, I usually need more. It also depends on how dry the batter is after you cook it. May sound pretty technical, but once you do it, it's easy.

daisy said...

Yum. I am your visiting teacher, but I think that you should supply the treat when we come to visit.

R-Eight said...

Thanks for the tip. we may try it tomorrow. It is rainy and I feel like experimenting with the kids

Petrea said...

I love the fact that by changing the cooking and mixing methods you can get such different products out of flour and a few other ingredients--and cream puffs are the most amazing of all. This sounds so good--and not as hard as usual cream puffs. My Visiting Teachers and I are actually doing cooking experiences sometimes as part of their visits--we will surely have to try this one!

The Willfords said...

I'm glad you posted this. I love your cream puffs and I also have had such bad luck with cream puffs.
Such great tips.