Saturday, November 04, 2006

Potato Soup



I never did get around to making the Butternut Squash and Apple Bisque. I'd still like to make it because it might be a possible soup course for Thanksgiving, but rather than put a questionable recipe on my blog, I'll post my recipe for potato soup instead. I love a pot of thick potato soup. It's so easy to make, I usually have the ingredients around, and it's so satisfying. When serving, pass cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and sliced scallions for topping. Yummy.

I've taken things from other recipes to create one I like, but have never really written it down. The last time I made it I paid close attention to quantities so I could write it down. You can modify this recipe to suit your likes (thick, thin, chunky, etc . . .). Add more liquid at the end for a thinner soup. Add more potatoes or other vegetables for a chunkier soup. Slightly mash at the end of cooking for a more creamy soup. Keep in mind that you should use the same amount of butter as flour for your roux. Any type of potato works well in this soup, from the famous Idaho, to the purple Peruvian, to the Yukon gold.

Melt 1 stick of butter in large stockpot. Add and saute for a few minutes:
2 celery stalks, diced small
1 large or 2 small onions, diced small
Season with salt and pepper. Add:
8 T. flour
Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes. Add:
1 32 oz. box chicken broth
3 c. pototoes, unpeeled and cut into 1" dice
Simmer, stirring often (to prevent sticking), until pototoes are al dente, or easily pierced when pricked with the tip of a knife. Turn off heat. Add:
1/4 - 3/4 c. cream or milk
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with bowl of crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese and sliced scallions for topping.

2 comments:

Bek said...

I make a soup similar to this (sadly, mine has butter, sour cream, cheese and cream) It is my standby "new mommy" dinner w/ a big salad and fresh bread. I justify it by telling myself that nursing moms NEED more calories (just not in one bowl....). Love to see a lighter version of this.

For the potatoes-- usually I make a few extra extra baked potaotes, scrape out the insides when they are cool and then freeze those for the soup (if you are the kind of person that doesn't always have fresh potatoes in the house...).

I have been watching your recipies and making some of them (beef and barley soup tonight!!). Love the dumplings. We make samosas in our house a lot....I have a feeling we are going to be making dumplings from around the world pretty soon.

Elizabeth said...

i made this last night and it was really good! I was worried that it would be too much like chowder and not enough like soup (and Matt doesnt like chowder) but it turned out pefect. Plus, I only had to use one potato (it was from Mom and Dad's garden and was huge).