Thursday, November 02, 2006

Autumn Succotash



I like this recipe because:
1. I like edamame and having a new way to eat it
2. The bacon and shallot add great flavor
3. Uses frozen veggies, so it's easy to make all winter long

8 servings
2 slices bacon, chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 c. frozen edamame or one 10 oz. package frozen baby lima beans
1 lb. frozen corn kernels
1/4 + c. water
1/4 c. fresh Italian parsley (optional)

Heat skillet, add bacon and saute until fat begins to render, about 1 minute. Add shallot and saute until bacon and shallot begin to brown, about 3 minutes. Add edamame, corn and 1/4 c. water and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl and sprinkle with parsley.

The recipe says to thaw frozen vegetables before cooking, but really who has time for that? I added them frozen and increased the water.
(from Bon Appetit Nov. 2006)

3 comments:

Mumsy said...

I've never actually had endamame before--what are they like? I love lima beans and am intrigued by this recipe. I think it could easily become a favorite.

Mom in Mendon said...

I had edemame for the first time last spring in NY and I have loved it. It's hard to find in normal grocery stores here in Utah. I did finally get some at Sam's or Costco.

Erin said...

I get edamame at Trader Joe's in the freezer section. You can buy it shelled or in the pod. Not as squishy as lima beans, but good.