Friday, October 06, 2006

Let's Meet for Tea



Colin and I went to run some errands today, but had to wait until the store opened, so we stopped in Starbucks for some hot chocolate and a pumpkin doughnut. I know I'm not unique in saying this, but I really like Starbucks. Maybe it's because I worked in a Starbucks (inside a bookstore) in college, or that I love drinking many varities of hot drinks. I love the smells and the atmosphere and the colors. This morning I watched a table of ladies drinking their coffee and visiting. I deduced that they were stay-at-home moms (as opposed to business women) because of the grocery cards on their enormous key rings, the soccer centered discussion, the nice, but casual soccer mom attire (not nice enough for the office), and the fact that they were sitting in a Starbucks at 9:30 am. I was envious. How nice to drop the kids at school and then join your friends for coffee and talk at the local Starbucks before you started the rest of your day. Maybe I was envious of the lack of toddlers/babies in tow, or the down time they were enjoying, or that Starbucks was just a really nice place to be with friends on such a chilly day. The fact that I don't drink coffee doesn't deter me in thinking this was nice. I would love to meet my friends, sans kids, and gossip over a hot tea or steamed milk. Maybe in 5 or 10 years.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This takes me back to our Juice and Java days in high school. Pre-kids.
I'll meet you at Starbucks in 5-10 years.

jordan said...

Get a nanny.

Erin said...

carrie-oh man, those were the days. i have good memories there.
jordan-you're missing the point. you'll understand when you have kids.

Tania said...

I'll meet you there, 1st day of school, 2011.