Friday, July 14, 2006

I Heart Salt


Who knew salt could be so exciting and interesting? This spread is from Bon Appetit, July 2006. I had no idea there was a world of salt out there that was so varied and gourmet. I love the idea that little extra things (like salt) can have such subtle nuances of flavor that it can change the flavor of what you are eating. I also love the different colors, sizes and textures. I would use the Danish Viking-Smoked Sea Salt on a grilled steak, and the Cyprus Black Sea Salt Flakes on grilled purple potatoes, or atop mashed potatoes. I also liked the Murray River Pink Flake Salt from Australia. It would be pretty on anything.

2 comments:

jordan said...

Beautiful Salt. I want the pink kind.

steve u. said...

Fun blog!

In March 2002, Corby Kummer wrote a very interesting article in the Atlantic on Fleur de sel, which apparently is regarded as the most flavorful salt in the world. Salt is yummy. Thinking of the best salt really makes my mouth water.