Monday, October 20, 2008

My Week in Meals - 10/20/08

After a few weeks off, due to an appendicitis, I'm back at it. I even got up this morning and fixed my kids breakfast. They were happy. More good things:

1. Pomegranates are in season in St. George. They are everywhere, falling into ditches and parking lots, in neighbor's yards. I've been collecting lots of recipes and ideas, but I haven't been able to try any yet because we just crack em' open and eat em' like candy.

2. My parents made an emergency visit to help me with my emergency appendix and brought with them loads of good stuff, all from their garden; tomatoes, zucchini, tomatillos, potatoes, japanese eggplant, peppers, carrots, apples, pears, onions, beets, cabbage, butternut squash. It's nearly all gone but I'm excited to use the rest of it for:

3. Fall cooking! Now that we are down to the cool low 80s outside, I'm ready to do some "fall" cooking; butternut squash, apples, homemade bread, pasta with sausage, yum, yum.

4. I met Andrea. She has 18 chickens in her backyard. I get two dozen eggs from her once a week for $2.00. They are excellent eggs.


breakfast
lunch
dinner
snack
mon
apple-cinnamon oatmeal
cheese
wheat crackers
pears
black bean
tostadas
snickerdoodles
tues
scrambled eggs
toast
pb&j
apple
smoked pork sandwiches with bbq sauce and cabbage slaw
yogurt
wed
frozen pancakes
chips, salsa,
black beans (leftovers)
baked rigatoni
salad

popcorn and apples
thurs
german pancakes
pb&j
carrots
celery

tin-foil dinners
cinnamon chips with pomegranate salsa
fri
cereal
pasta (leftover)
pear
butternut squash soup
fresh bread


sat
waffles
bacon
kraft mac n' cheese
dinner out

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

we must be on the same meal wave because I am making tin-foil dinners tonight! this week I have also been making lots of stuff with pumpkin in it - like those apple pumpkin muffins mom use to make and pumpkin chocolate chip cookies..then again - it is snowing here :0

Mom in Mendon said...

I've missed seeing your posts.

We're just getting used to Russian cuisine. My first overview suggests NY deli: Lots of sausage/brat/mayo/bread.

Fall squash is available here, but somehow the setting isn't right.

Mom in Mendon said...

PS: I hope you're still taking it easy.

Love to everyone.

Tania said...

I am so jealous about the eggs.