Thursday, June 28, 2007

Favorite Summer Recipes - Apricot Tart



I've been thinking about my favorite summer recipes and thought I'd share a few. I started making this apricot tart when we had three apricot trees in our yard. I've never tasted an apricot that compares since, but even the mediocre apricots taste amazing in this tart. Last time I made it I added blueberries to the top (before putting the lattice on) and it was really yummy. I also got to break in my new tart pan. If you don't have a tart pan, use a springform pan or a pie pan. The crust is pretty delicate, it should come together but still be crumbly. If it's too dry, add another egg yolk to the dough. Serve it with vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.



After patting the crust in the pan, spread with apricot perserves.


Fill with cooked apricots, then fresh apricots and blueberries.



The lattice top.

Here's the recipe, taken from Bon Appetit May 2000, or you can print it here.

ingredients

filling
1 pound ripe apricots (about 8), halved, pitted
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons sugar

crust
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
11 tablespoons (1 stick plus 3 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, room temperature
3 large egg yolks

1/3 cup apricot preserves
1/2 pound ripe apricots (about 4), halved, pitted, each half cut into 4 wedges
1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water (for glaze)

preparation

for filling: Combine 1 pound apricots and 3 tablespoons water in heavy large saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring often. Cover; cook over medium heat until apricots are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Stir in sugar; cook uncovered until apricots are very tender, liquid evaporates and mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Cool filling slightly. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.)

for crust: Mix flour, sugar and salt in medium bowl to blend. Add butter. Rub in with fingertips until coarse crumbs form. Using fork, mix in yolks. Transfer to work surface. Knead gently just until dough comes together. Divide dough into 2 pieces, using 2/3 of dough for 1 piece and remaining 1/3 for second piece. Flatten into disks. Wrap each disk in plastic. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.

Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 350°F. Press larger dough disk onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Roll out second dough disk on parchment paper to 8-inch round. Cut dough into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Chill while filling tart. Spread apricot preserves evenly over bottom of unbaked crust. Spoon apricot filling over preserves. Arrange 1/2 pound apricot wedges atop filling. Arrange dough strips atop filling to form lattice. Trim ends of strips at tart pan edges. Brush lattice with egg glaze.

Bake tart until crust is golden brown and fruit just bubbles, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool on rack 45 minutes. Using small knife, gently loosen tart from pan sides. Remove sides. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks soooooo good! I mad a blueberry cobbler the other night YUM! But I think I like blueberryies better when they are paired with something else, like the apricots. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Anonymous said...

mmm- that looks sooo good. i love fruit pies in the summer, looks like that is a must-make recipe!!!

Mom in Mendon said...

This is SO beautiful! I love apricots and they're just in around here.

Anonymous said...

Yummy! That is one of the most beautiful pies I've seen.

Jen I said...

How are you not fat? (Well, normally, that is). I keep vowing to ban myself from baking. Too hot for one thing, but I just eat it ALL! Maybe having a bigger family helps. I made key lime pies this weekend and I think Ryan and I consumed an entire one ourselves! This looks great!